In 1898 Harry & Percy Burgess began growing vegetables in the Peterborough Fens and running a fruit & vegetable shop in Richmond, London . Ever since, the business has expanded using strong ethical values and today Produce World remains a privately owned business with active involvement from the fourth generation of the Burgess family. In 2011, Produce World brought all existing companies into the ‘Produce World Group’ creating one company, one team and one brand.
- 1898 Harry & Percy Burgess begin growing vegetables in Peterborough Fens and running a fruit & vegetable shop in Richmond, London.
- 1946 Russell Burgess Ltd established to pack and market fruit & vegetables.The post – Second World War years meant a frugal existence and rationing for a nation recovering from total devastation.In the Cambridgeshire Fens one man saw an opportunity to market farmers’ fresh produce to this hungry and receptive population.Russell Burgess Ltd. was formed in 1946 to market potatoes and fresh produce grown on farms in the Fens.
- 1999 – A joint-venture growing operation was formed between Las Lomas and the Produce World Group in 1999. The concept gave Produce World an additional supply line to import parsnips, leeks, bunched carrots, potatoes and onions, and create an all year round supply source for the benefit of our rapidly expanding customer base.
- 2000 Russell Burgess (Potatoes) merges with Sutton Bridge Ltd to form Solanum Ltd.
- 2003 Companies merge to create Produce World Ltd.
- 2008 Produce World Ltd acquires Marshalls Holdings Ltd, a group of companies that includes Marshall Bros (Butterwick) Ltd and a 76% holding in Agromark SA.
- 2009 Produce World disposes of its interests in British & Brazilian Produce Ltd to AG Thames Holdings Ltd.
- 2011 One Company, One team, One Brand.