In 1898 Harry & Percy Burgess began growing vegetables in the Peterborough Fens and running a fruit & vegetable shop in Richmond, London . Ever since, the business has expanded using strong ethical values and today Produce World remains a privately owned business with active involvement from the fourth generation of the Burgess family. In 2011, Produce World brought all existing companies into the ‘Produce World Group’ creating one company, one team and one brand.
- 1898 Harry & Percy Burgess begin growing vegetables in Peterborough Fens and running a fruit & vegetable shop in Richmond, London.
- 1946 Russell Burgess Ltd established to pack and market fruit & vegetables.The post – Second World War years meant a frugal existence and rationing for a nation recovering from total devastation.In the Cambridgeshire Fens one man saw an opportunity to market farmers’ fresh produce to this hungry and receptive population.Russell Burgess Ltd. was formed in 1946 to market potatoes and fresh produce grown on farms in the Fens.
- 1999 – A joint-venture growing operation was formed between Las Lomas and the Produce World Group in 1999. The concept gave Produce World an additional supply line to import parsnips, leeks, bunched carrots, potatoes and onions, and create an all year round supply source for the benefit of our rapidly expanding customer base.
- 2000 Russell Burgess (Potatoes) merges with Sutton Bridge Ltd to form Solanum Ltd.
- 2003 Companies merge to create Produce World Ltd.
- 2008 Produce World Ltd acquires Marshalls Holdings Ltd, a group of companies that includes Marshall Bros (Butterwick) Ltd and a 76% holding in Agromark SA.
- 2009 Produce World disposes of its interests in British & Brazilian Produce Ltd to AG Thames Holdings Ltd.
- 2011 One Company, One team, One Brand.
- 2012 Produce World Group sells holding in Agromark back to Spanish shareholders but continues to work in partnership sourcing brassicas.
- 2013 Produce World Burgess Farms, Produce World Butterwick and Produce World organised into three divisions creating a more integrated company.
- 2013 Overall employee engagement scores 47 – 64%, after running the 4th annual survey in partnership with the Great Place to Work Institute.
- 2014 TIO and Fenmarc Roots division based at Swinderby acquired; strengthening position in key markets.
- 2014 UK Grower Award for Tatsoi
- 2014 Natures Premium as organic brand
- 2015 Joint Venture with Lincolnshire Field Products (LFP)
- 2015 Taylorgrown Ltd acquired
- 2015 Produce World Group board restructure
- 2015 Major investment in Sutton Bridge, Wykeham and Isleham sites.